Please note: Prerequisite - Pallium Canada LEAP Core Program
Following a recent renewal and revision of the materials, the content now addresses intermediate and some advanced professional competencies. Therefore we strongly encourage learners to take the LEAP Core Program prior to attending our event. Please consult the Pallium Canada website for the topics and competencies addressed by LEAP Core. If you have not taken LEAP Core, but have taken another program or certification that has provided you with the foundational content of paliative care, please contact [email protected] to discuss.
Victoria Hospice's 5-day Palliative Care: Medical Intensive (PCMI) course covers intermediate and some advanced aspects of palliative care. It provides a continued learning opportunity for:
- Family physicians or new palliative care physicians
- Nurses from palliative care settings, home care, or long-term care facilities
- Family practice residents
- Medical students with an interest in palliative care
- And others with a professional interest in palliative care
Continuing Professional Development credits pending approval by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the BC Chapter.
Palliative Care: Medical Intensive Fall 2018:
The next course runs November 19th-23rd 2018
Location: HOTEL GRAND PACIFIC, Victoria, BC- Reserve now for group rate while quanitites last
Course Fees Include:
Your course fees include tuition, PDF Copy of our Medical Care of the Dying textbook.
Good news! Some spots have opened up!! Register below
Rate Schedule 2018 (Subject to change annually):
May 11th- July 16th 2018)
(July 17th 2018- Oct. 31st 2018)
Family Practice Resident/YAC
|Student (Proof of Enrollment Required)||$620.00||$680.00||$740.00|
Cancellations, Refunds, and Transfer Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration, please contact Victoria Hospice's Event Coordinator, Brittany Clark. Full refunds, minus a $25 cancellation fee, are available up until 30 days before the course start date. Within 30 days of the course start date, no refunds will be issued. Transfers: If you would like to transfer your enrollment to another session, you are required to pay an additional $25.00 admin fee and the difference in cost if the fees increase between sessions.
Good news! Some spots have opened up, please register here: https://events.eply.com/PCMINovember20182504507
Please check here for updates or like us on Facebook or find us on Twitter
Your registration fee includes a link to the online copy of our textbook, Medical Care of the Dying, 4th edition (2006). Students will receive a download link for a PDF copy of the book a couple weeks before the course start date.
For those looking to expand their library of palliative care resources, Victoria Hospice has additional publications available on our website's online bookstore.
- Recognize the diversity of people’s experiences at the end of life and apply a variety of approaches to end of life care.
- Summarize the psychosocial approach in End of Life Care and identify interventions across transitions and diseases.
- Integrate personal and professional experiences and apply knowledge and skills.
- Recognize the complexity of psychosocial care including spiritual, cultural and family considerations and impacts on team and self.
- Articulate the role of self in providing psychosocial care including boundaries, intention and impact on self.
- Participate in a learning opportunity that brings professionals with similar interests and unique perspectives together for shared learning.
- Ethical Aspects of End of Life Care
- Breaking Bad News
- Pain Assessment and Etiology
- Intermediate and Advanced Pain Management
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Neurological Issues
- Respiratory Issues
- Using a Palliative Approach in Non-Cancer Illness
- Pediactric Care
- Spiritual Care
- Palliative Sedation
- Care in Rural or Remote Sites
- Care Through Final Days
- Grief and Bereavement
- Palliative Emergencies
- Course textbook PDF (pre-reading for the course) 4th edition Medical Care of the Dying, is included in the registration fee.
- Topic reviews and discussions
- Videos and multimedia presentations
- Large and small group discussions
- Case-based problem solving sessions
The course fees include 5 days of instruction, learning resources, a PDF copy of the text Medical Care of the Dying.
- A limited number of student rates are available for students in their 4th year of undergraduate degree or in Master’s or PhD programs.
To apply: please submit proof of study (unofficial transcripts, or other documentation) to
- [email protected]
- Students experiencing excessive financial need may also apply for an additional 15% off their student fees by providing a cover letter explaining their need. These discounts are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Financial Need Rates:
- We have one discount at 50% off the ‘Regular’ rate for professionals experiencing financial need per session. This will be awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to a qualified applicant.
To apply: please submit a cover letter explaining why you want to take the course and how the discount will help you realize this goal, along with two letters of reference (including one from your current employer/manager/volunteer coordinator). Submit to [email protected]
"I recommend this book highly. It is helpful for people in palliative care, but its clarity and practicality are such that I hope it finds a home on general acute care wards, the offices of primary physicians, and hospital out-patient departments." — Journal of Palliative Care
“I learned a tremendous amount about palliative care and feel privileged to have learned from many brilliant and compassionate people. I will go back to my facility filled with ideas and the confidence to present them to our team and to improve our palliative care program. Thank you, Victoria Hospice.”
“Worth every penny and time it took to get here – thank you all so much”
“Fabulous course – went beyond my expectations”
“Wonderful opportunities to share with colleagues”
“Excellent speakers, knowledgeable and such caring people”
“This course was excellent!! I appreciated and valued every single day, speaker and presentation”
“Best education week for me – EVER!”