Victoria Hospice’s Palliative Care Intensive (PCI) course covers intermediate and some advanced aspects of palliative care. It provides a continued learning opportunity for:
- Family physicians or new palliative care physicians
- Nurses from palliative care, home care, or long-term care facilities
- Family practice residents
- Medical students with an interest in palliative care
- And others with a professional interest in palliative care
- Continuing Professional Development credits pending approval by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the BC Chapter.
Following a recent renewal and revision of the materials, the content now addresses intermediate and some advanced professional competencies. Therefore we strongly encourage learners to take the LEAP Core Program prior to attending our event.
Please consult the Pallium Canada website for the topics and competencies addressed by LEAP Core. If you have not taken LEAP Core, but have taken another program or certification that has provided you with the foundational content of palliative care, please contact us to discuss.
In the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Victoria Hospice Society has decided to transition our PCI Program to an online format.
Our number one priority is the safety of all who attend our programs, and this online format will allow us to deliver our long-standing program in a safe and convenient way. Despite changes to the delivery of our PCI program, we have been working hard to ensure the quality of our program remains as professional and engaging as it has been in previous years.
PCI Online Features
- Self-directed modules and video lectures to be completed at your own pace
- Two days of live webinars with our facilitators in which you will engage in case groups, discussions and activities.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion
Mon. Sept. 20th, 2021 – Online course modules open
Nov. 4th & 5th – Live online webinars
This learning program has previously been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 29 mainpro+ credits.
Non-Physicians/YAC Students: $495
The fall session of the Palliative care Intensive course is full, but we are taking a waitlist. To be added to the waitlist for the spring session 2022 (dates TBA), please email Brittany.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellations, Refunds, and Transfer Policy
If you need to cancel your registration, please contact Victoria Hospice’s Event Coordinator, Brittany Clark. A full refund, minus a $25 cancellation fee, is available up until Jan 14th, 2021. Within 15 days of the course start date (Feb. 1st), no refunds will be issued.
Transfers: If you would like to transfer your enrollment to another session, you are required to pay an additional $25.00 admin fee and the difference in cost if the fees increase between sessions.
- Course Goals/ Objectives
- Recognize the diversity of people’s experiences at the end of life and apply a variety of approaches to end of life care.
- Summarize the psychosocial approach in End of Life Care and identify interventions across transitions and diseases.
- Integrate personal and professional experiences and apply knowledge and skills.
- Recognize the complexity of psychosocial care including spiritual, cultural and family considerations and impacts on team and self.
- Articulate the role of self in providing psychosocial care including boundaries, intention and impact on self.
- Participate in a learning opportunity that brings professionals with similar interests and unique perspectives together for shared learning.
- Course Content
- Ethical Aspects of End of Life Care
- Serious Illness Conversations
- Breaking Bad News
- Pain Assessment and Etiology
- Intermediate and Advanced Pain Management
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Neurological Issues
- Respiratory Issues
- Using a Palliative Approach in Non-Cancer Illness
- Pediatric Care
- Care Through Final Days
- Palliative Emergencies
- Financial Hardship
*If you are experiencing a specific financial hardship, but are hoping to attend our program, please contact Projects and Events Coordinator email@example.com