“Of all the places I have volunteered, this has been my best experience. From the moment I started here I felt comfortable.” – Dawn, Victoria Hospice Volunteer
To maintain the high quality of our volunteer program, we place a great deal of care and attention on volunteer intake, training and ongoing support.
If you are interested in any of our volunteer opportunities:
- Attend an information session to learn more about volunteering with Victoria Hospice. (see times/dates below)
- Complete and submit a Volunteer Application available only at the information session.
- Meet with Hospice staff for a personal interview.
In addition, people interested in any of the clinical volunteer roles are required to:
- Request and submit a completed police check (at no cost).
- Successfully complete a 36 hour training course committing to attending all sessions. (*Please note there is a $60 training fee but this can be adjusted if this presents a hardship)
- Successfully complete 3-5 trainee shifts with a volunteer mentor.
- Meet with Volunteer Services staff for an individual placement interview.
- Comply with the Influenza Protection Policy:
Staff and volunteers with patient/client contact are required to have a flu shot or wear a face mask while on duty during "flu season" (usually December - March).
- Commit to 12 months of volunteer service with Hospice.
- Attend ongoing opportunities for learning, enrichment, and support.
Our next volunteer recruitment will begin in the Summer of 2018 for training in the Fall of 2018. All three information sessions will funnel into fall training, you need only attend one.
Information sessions will be held on:
Thursday July 26nd from 5pm to 6pm
Saturday August 18th from 3pm to 4pm
Thursday September 6th 5pm to 6pm
All the information sessions will be in the Woodward Room of Begbie Hall on the Royal Jubliee Campus. There is no need to pre-register, just come with any questions you may have.
For more information, please contact Volunteer Services at (250) 370-8727.